For the purpose of cultivating qualified Chinese language teachers and facilitating Chinese language education in other countries, the Center for Language Education and Cooperation (CLEC) will continue with the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship.
Confucius Institutes, independently operated Confucius Classrooms, certain HSK test centers, Chinese language (education) departments of foreign universities, professional associations for Chinese language instruction of other countries, Chinese embassies (consulates) abroad (collectively “recommending institutions”) may recommend outstanding students and currently-employed Chinese language teachers to study International Chinese Language Education or related majors in Chinese universities and colleges to study in Chinese universities and colleges (“host institutions”).
All applicants shall be:
1. non-Chinese citizens;
2. Be good to China, have no criminal record, and abide by the laws and regulations of the Chinese government and the rules and regulations of the school
3. in good physical and mental condition, with good academic performance and conduct;
4. committed to the Chinese language education and related work;
5. between the ages of 16 and 35 as of September 1st, 2022. Applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers shall not be over 45, while undergraduate student applicants shall not be over 25.
SCHOLARSHIP TYPES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Category I: Chinese Language Teacher Program
1. Scholarship for Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL)
The program commences in September 2022 and provides scholarship for a maximum of four academic years. Applicants shall hold a high school diploma and a minimum score of 210 on the HSK Test (Level 4) as well as 60 on the HSKK test (Intermediate Level). Applicants must pass the Skype interview conducted by our university.
2. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study
The program commences in September 2021, and provides scholarship for a maximum of 11 months. International students who have obtained the same type of scholarships are not eligible.
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 270 on the HSK test (Level 3), and an HSKK test score is required. Applicants must pass the phone interview conducted by our university.
2.2 Chinese Language and Literature
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 on the HSK test (Level 4) and 60 on the HSKK test (Intermediate Level). Applicants must pass the phone interview conducted by our university.
2.3 Chinese Language Study
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 210 on the HSK test (Level 3). Priority will be given to applicants who provide an HSKK test score. Applicants must pass the phone interview conducted by our university.
3. Scholarship for One-Semester Study (TCSOL, Chinese Language and Literature)
The program commences either in September 2022 or March 2023, and provides scholarship of a maximum of 5 months. Applicants holding the X1 or X2 visa are not eligible.
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 on the HSK test (Level 3), and an HSKK test score is required. Applicants must pass the phone interview conducted by our university.
4. Scholarship for Special Four-week Program for Confucius Institutes
The program commences either in July or December 2022 and provides a four-week scholarship. Applicants holding the X1 or X2 visa are not eligible.
An HSK test score is required. The program is organized and applied for by a Confucius Institute with 10-15 participants per group.
Category II Online Study Program
1. One-year Chinese Language Online Study Program
The program commences either in September or March. Applicants must pass HSK 3 with a minimum score of 180. Priority will be given to applicants who provide an HSKK test score.
2. One-semester Chinese Language Online Study Program
The program commences either in September or March. Applicants must hold HSK certificates. No specific requirements about the level or score of the HSK certificate.
Online registration will be available from March 1, 2022 on the Confucius Institute Scholarship website (cis.chinese.cn). Please log on to search for recommending institutions and host institutions; upload application materials online; and track the application progress, comments and result. Scholarship holders need to confirm with the host institutions to go through the procedures of studying in China, print out CIS certificate online, and register at host institutions on the designated date as per the letter of admission.
The application deadlines (Beijing Time) are:
1. for programs commencing in July: student application deadline is April 15th, recommending and receiving institution pre-admission is April 25th.
2. for programs commencing in September: student application deadline is May 15th , recommending and receiving institution pre-admission is May 25th .
3. for programs commencing in December: student application deadline is September 15th, recommending and receiving institution pre-admission is September 25th .
4. for programs commencing in March 2023: student application deadline is November 15th, recommending and receiving institution pre-admission is November 25th .
CLEC will entrust an expert panel to review the applications. The results will be published about three months before school starts.
CHINESE BRIDGE AWARD RECIPIENT POLICIES
1. Chinese Language Teachers at Work
Chinese language teachers at work applying for this scholarship can provide work certificates and letters of recommendation issued by the employment institution, and are exempted from submitting Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK) certificates.
2. Chinese Bridge Winners
Chinese Bridge winners who have been awarded the 2022 “Confucius Institute Scholarship Certificate” shall log onto the scholarship website and submit documents to relevant host institutions upon presentation of their CIS certificates. For inquiry, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Applicants for bachelor’s degree scholarship must attend the Skype interview conducted by our university.
2. Applicants for scholarship of one-year study or one-semester study must attend the phone interview conducted by our university.
3. After being admitted, scholarship students have to sign the “Letter of Commitment”, ensure that they will value and make every effort to take the opportunity to study the CIS program on time. They should abide by the rules and regulations, complete their study plan and actively participate in extracurricular activities organized by the university.
4. Those who fail to register on time, fail to pass the health assessment, misbehave, drop out midway and/or are suspend from school will be deprived of their scholarship.
5. Applicants are not allowed to apply Chinese Government Scholarship and Confucius Institute Scholarship to study at our university at the same time. We preserve the right to terminate their Confucius Institute Scholarship applications once the above-mentioned conduct is confirmed.
6. Please be aware that we adopt online study for 2022 Spring semester because of the pandemic. We will inform in advance if we continue the online study in 2022 Fall semester.
7. Applicants who apply to study MTCSOL in our university should consult the Faculty of Chinese Language and Culture at email@example.com.
8. We will keep applicants updated on the changes of recruitment, admission and registration because of the COVID-19 impact.
With reference to rules and regulations in 2020, scholarship students are taking online courses overseas due to the COVID-19 control and prevention, before entering into China in person, scholarship students cannot obtain the living allowances sponsored by the scholarship without having their identities verified by the host university.
Contact Person: Ms. Zhou Quan
Appendix 1 International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship Coverage and Criteria
The Scholarship provides full coverage on tuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance (four-week study students are excluded) and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
1. Tuition is under the overall planning and utilization of host institutions to provide teaching and management of scholarship students organizing cultural and social activities, as well as organizing Chinese language proficiency tests.
2. Accommodation fee is under the overall planning and utilization of host institutions to provide students with in-campus apartments (usually double rooms). Students may also live off-campus upon application and getting permission from the host institutions. Students who live off-campus are entitled to accommodation allowance of 700 CNY per person/month. (Not for online study abroad)
3. Living allowance is granted by host institutions on a monthly basis. The monthly allowance for undergraduates, one-academic-year study students and one-semester students is 2,500 CNY per person. For MTCSOL student, the monthly allowance is 3,000 CNY per person. (Not for online study abroad)
Students are required to complete enrollment procedures for every semester within stipulated period; otherwise, their scholarship may be cancelled. Students who are enrolled before the 15th (or on the 15th) of the month are entitled to the full allowance of that month while those enrolled after the 15th of that month are only entitled to half of the amount.
During the study period, for any student who is absent from China due to personal reasons for more than 15 days (excluding winter and summer holidays), the allowance during absence will be suspended.
4. Comprehensive medical insurance is purchased by the host institutions in accordance with relevant regulations of studying in China stipulated by the Ministry of Education of China. Insurance fee per person is 160 CNY for four-week study students, 400 CNY for one-semester students, and 800 CNY per year for students engaged in program longer than one academic year. (Not for online study abroad)
Appendix 2 Application Documents for International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship
A. For all applicants:
a) a Scanned copy of passport photo page
b) a scanned copy of score reports of the HSK and HSKK tests (within the two-year validity).
c) a reference letter by the head of the recommending institutions
B. For degree scholarship program applicants:
a) a certification of the highest education diploma (or proof of expected graduation) and an official transcript.
b) applicants of the Scholarship for DTCSOL students are required to provide 2 reference letters from professors or associate professors or experts with equivalent professional and technical titles in relevant fields and a 3000-word personal statement in Chinese (including knowledge of the intended field of study and research proposal)
c) applicants of the Scholarship for MTCSOL students are required to provide 2 reference letters from professors or associate professors. Priority will be given to Applicants who may provide a work contract with a teaching institution or relevant proof upon completing their studies in China.
C. Applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers shall provide proof of employment as well as a reference letter by the employer.
D. Applicants under the age of 18 shall provide certified documents of designation signed by their entrusted legal guardians in China.
E. Applicants shall also provide additional documents required by the host institutions.